Little Things 67 : 26 Movie & Book List

March 22, 2013

For my 2013 goal here , I wrote a geeky goal :

This year, I am turning 26.* I want to read another 26 books and watch 26 movies *


Those little * asterisks * are little pretend-stars, assuming 5 asterisks as highly recommended by me and 1 asterisk means boring. But, this is only based on my interest, because from what's been told by my siblings, I have a very odd-slow-boring taste of movies *so be warned. Books, my taste in books are self-claimed-great, I can be book recommender based on people's interest. 

Movies :
  1. Now You See Me (2013) - ***
  2. Mr. Nobody (2009) - ****
  3. Girl, Interrupted (1999) - ****
  4. Conjuring (2013) - ***
  5. Peemak (2013) - ***
  6. Man of Steel (2013) - ****
  7. After Earth (2013) - ****
  8. KIL (2013) - ***
  9. Mother (2009) - ***
  10. Straight A's (2013) - ***
  11. Easy A (2010) - ***
  12. The Brass Teapot (2012) - ***
  13. Tree of Life (2012) - ****
  14. Moonrise Kingdom (2012) - ****
  15. Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008) - ***
  16. The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - *****
  17. Marie Antoinette (2006) - ***
  18. Somewhere (2010) - ***
  19. Lost in Translation (2003) - ***
  20. The Virgin Suicides (1999) - ***
  21. The Host (2013) - ***
  22. One Day (2011) - ***
  23. The Croods (2013) - ****
  24. Diary of a Wimpy Kid : Dog Days (2012) - **
  25. Not Suitable for Children (2012) - ** 
  26. Warm Bodies (2013) - ***
  27. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) - ***
  28. Pitch Perfect (2012) - ***
  29. The Wizards of Oz (2013) - ***
  30. A Thousand Words (2012) - ***
  31. Jack the Giant Slayer (2013) - **
  32. Cloud Atlas (2012) - ***
  33. Meet Joe Black (1998) - *****
  34. Jack Reacher (2012) - *
  35. Life of Pi (2012) - *****
Current favorite : Life of Pi & Meet Joe Black & The Darjeeling Limited.
* I promised it is not because of Brad Pitt's alarmingly great look, but it is because of the idea of Death falling in love, and the movie was all about life, love, and sacrifices. Not in cheesy chick-lit version, but a very thoughtful slow one. 
* For obvious reason, Life of Pi, I wrote a long review on that, I can't brag more.

*

Books :
  1. By the River Piedra I Sat Down & Wept by Paulo Coelho - ***
  2. Reborn : Susan Sontag's Diaries - ***
  3. Yasmin, How You Know ? - ****
  4. Tokyo on Foot - ****
  5. How to be an Explore of the World - ***
  6. Selected Poems of Rumi - ****
  7. Fearless by Cornelia Funke - ***
  8. Stardust by Neil Gaiman - ***
  9. Rahsia 2Pria by Adi Wafi & Mosyuki Borhan - ***
  10. The Reader by Bernhard Schlink - ****
  11. Ring by Koji Suzuki - ***
  12. Conversations with God by Neale Donald - ****
  13. Manuscript Found in Accra by Paulo Coelho - ****
  14. The Winner Stands Alone by Paulo Coelho - ***
  15. The Sufi Book of Life by Neil Douglas-Klotz - ****
  16. Warrior of the Light by Paulo Coelho - ****
  17. Life of Pi by Yann Martell - ****
  18. Beatrice & Virgil by Yann Martell - *
  19. Reckless by Cornelia Funke - ****
  20. IQ84 by Haruki Murakami - *****
  21. The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - ***
  22. The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom - ****
  23. For One More Day by Mitch Albom - ****
Current favorite : IQ84
* This reminds me of Stieg Larsson's trilogy, The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, the Japanese version. But this book is too thick, around 1000 pages and I can't bring it to places, so I Googled it down on how to read a great thick & heavy  book - because I only got time to read while I commute to work nowadays, and I found a sinful suggestion : cut the book. 

I was curious, I am a book lover, can I possibly cut a book? But I wanted to read it so bad. And what is the point of having a great book that you can't enjoy because it is too heavy? I thought about it for awhile and I decided to try it. First book lover's sin : Cut a book. Second book lover's sin : It was a personal gift. Third book lover's sin : I chose to mutilate a book !

This is when my principle was being tested : how strong is my statement about not being personally-overly attached to a human-made object ? I cut it, put a transparent tape on the book's bone and stared at what I did. Okay. It got more personal now, my first book that I cut, and I fell in love with the flaw nonetheless. Will I ever lend it to people? Probably not - no one can possibly take a good care of a fragile book as much as I can. The book got its own casing now. No, I don't want to do this ever again. It felt exactly like an hour after drinking coffee, the mouth will give an odd wrong taste.

And I love the story
Highly recommended.

18 comments on "Little Things 67 : 26 Movie & Book List"
  1. u cut a book??! i've seen people do worse things but that is quite unexpected.
    How did you do it anyway, in 300-pages-part?

    I've also bought murakami's but only read a few pages before had to ship it back home after grad. wonder how's the book doing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did ! >.<
    Well, it's a trilogy kan, so I cut the first book. Not going to cut it into three separate parts. It just felt wrong.

    So you've read IQ84? How long did you take to finish it up, you read fast, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a trilogy? Didn't know that. Obviously I haven't finished it.
    I read the preview on amazon and decided to buy it. it was after my last exams. got to read a few pages, before came the hard decision whether to bring it back with my luggage or ship it. It's been 3 months and is still somewhere floating on the ocean. haha

    I only read 'fast' with books that suits me. if not, it'd take ages. like the pearl in Form 5, took months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it is a trilogy :p
    3 months? Is it normal to take that long to ship things?

    Hahaha, the Pearl ! It was boring, I loved the comic version tho. That comic-like book helped me during my SPM. I wonder if they are still using the same book for literature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah 3 months is long, tho some got theirs after more than 4 months. depends. of course it's faster if you use dhl/air post.

    they got a comic version of it? didn't know bout that too. googled a bit and found a blog bout literature. only for Form 4, but I guess they changed the novels too. http://form4englishliterature.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once, my mom shipped all her things from Japan after 6 years staying there, but the ship sank. o.o

    Yeap, they got the comic version for literature review, imagine that :D
    Well, they need something better than the Phantom of the Opera and the Pearl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg, that's something out of a Roald Dahl's book. weird but totally possible. hope that doesn't happen to mine.
    comic books seem like a good idea, better than a sum i guess. bukit kepong dulu tak pernah lepas bab 3 kot, jawab exam guna buku ringkasan ja. haha. but phantom is not that bad. maybe the pearl would have been interesting if I weren't forced to read it. :S

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gahh, I hated bukit kepong ! I didn't finish mine too. I read buku ringkasan and contoh jawapan :D What's the point of forcing students to read a book when no one can finish it ? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. odd-slow-boring taste of movie? meaning mcm movie style M.Night Syamalan ke. Yang slow je development storyline nye...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, macam a lot of narration and silence, and a bit slow, no actions much : The King's Speech, Benjamin Button , Amelie, and such. Movies yg org cakap "bole-buat-orang-tertidur" :D

    Not Syamalan's eerie type of movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wah kita ada taste movie yang sama. Although I like other type of genre jugak.

    Suka style mcmtu sbb ada development untuk jalan cerita termasuk watak2 skali.
    You should try watch 21 Grams, Mystic River, Shutter Island or Inglorious Bastard. Slow tp jalan cerita mmg power huhuhu cuma ada la action sikit2 =P

    Ok what Syamalan's movie huhuhuh. I like Unbreakable, showing how superhero in real life should be tp bukan mcm style cite Kick-Ass tu la =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I like cerita yg ada twist and a bit different.
    I watched the Shutter Island, nice twist. Mcm cerita inception and Looper kan? :D

    I only watched Syamalan's the 6th Sense - which I loooved , the Village & the Happening - too creepy to be enjoyed while watching alone on my laptop. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup Shutter Island mmg terbaik. I watched it because of the director, one of my favorite. Also the actor Leonardo also one of my favorite huhuh...

    6th Sense one of the best movie ever.
    Hahah maybe horror movie is not one on your list kan, penakut jugak ye hahaha just kidding =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohh, for director I love Marc Webb & Sofia Coppola. Tapi ada byk lagi director lain yg best2 kan.

    Haha, yeah, I don't really enjoy cerita creepy/scary/thriller that much.
    It's bad for my zen, hahaha :D
    But I read those genres tho.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha so kalau buku boleh, mesti movie boleh punya la, especially Japaneses Horror because it have odd-slow-boring-narration-silence taste that you like. Trust me hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aha, no thankss. I only watch horror movies bila kena paksa :D Baca okay - imagination tahap not that scary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOU CUT A BOOK? Your braveness to mutilate the book, I can never top that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I diddddd. I would never believe myself until I actually see the book on my shelves again and again. It will remind me that I'm in charge of my all-doing, the bads and the goods, the faults and the successes. Boo T^T

      Delete