Review : 1.5 year later - Kindle 10th Gen

August 05, 2023

Remember that I bought this Kindle 10th gen in Dec 2021?

You can't no longer buy Kindle 10th gen from Kindle Malaysia but they now offer this new basic Kindle 11th gen (2022) version instead or Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021) (11th Gen). You can probably buy cheaper ones from other shops (but I can't say, I bought mine from Kindle Malaysia because they were trustworthy and their support team is reliable). Please do some research if you want to buy from other sellers ya.




Here I made a comparison between these current 2 models in 2023:


-

With ads/without ads:

What's the difference between 'with ads' and 'without ads'? Just that during the Kindle is idle (while not used on lock screen), it will show a promo picture of books, that's it. Not annoying, not intrusive, just like a poster of books that's it. So, for me, I don't have any problem with the ads (except when it shows some hunky-body duds in random romance book ads). It looks something like this:




With casing/without casing:

If you buy the casing from Kindle Malaysia (+add on), it will be a little bit expensive. You can buy it anywhere from Shopee instead. More options and much cheaper, the one I bought is around RM 35 and it works fine until now. 


The "free 1 million Kindle eBooks from Reader Library for 6 months" offer: Well, none of the books listed were interesting enough for me so I didn't even take advantage of that. Mostly classics lit, and already free on public domain books. 


-

My thoughts on my Kindle:

Mine is Kindle 10th Gen (2019) - 
I bought my Kindle for RM 495 in Dec 2021 (now the new Kindle starts from RM 650). It is 6”, with a 167 ppi screen, and weighs 174g. The storage is only 8 GB but that can store up to 2 thousand books (I think it’s more than enough) plus they offer cloud storage on Amazon. If you only read half an hour per day, the battery can last up to a month. But nowadays my battery can only last around 2-3 weeks, even less if I listen to an audiobook. I can’t play audiobooks on the device itself but I need to connect it to any Bluetooth earphone or speaker.

It is light and small enough for me. I can even put it in my back-pocket jeans or a small handbag. I love the size, it takes so little space in my life. The battery lasts long too, easy to travel and I can bring bookstores everywhere (which is always nice, but not money-wise lah). Oh, Amazon also always offers cheaper digital books and books on promos. I bought a lot of cheap books for $0.99 - $1.99. It is also so easy to buy a book, just one-click when you already linked it with your debit/credit card (Sofi accidentally bought so many books in the past) but canceling and getting the refund is easy enough, just make sure you don't turn off the email notification.

My Kindle vs the latest Kindle: double the storage, higher resolution, slightly lighter, with adjustable temperature light and improved battery life.

Should you buy it? It depends, if you really want an e-reader, basic Kindle is a really good choice. I've never tried or compared it with other e-readers except for iPad so I can't say much about the comparison. I didn't like reading on iPad (it makes my eyes hurt). Reading on Kindle is just like reading on paper, less strain on the eyes, no glare, and you don't have to wear blue-light glasses. 

Sure, it is not the same as physical books - I know! But it is a good option when you are deprived of good books, physical books are crazy expensive nowadays. Not every one can spend RM 50 - RM 80 on each latest fiction, and at an obsessive reader's rate, imagine how much we need to spend each month just to entertain our curious minds? So e-books it is.



Oh yes, I know it is not my birthday yet, but you can always always always buy me a book gift card - here's my email: azreen0301@gmail.com :D Book fairy please bring me more books. Thank you for your time and happy weekend!


Post Comment
Post a Comment