Movie : One Day

April 13, 2013

A couple of days ago, I watched another movie directed by Lone Scherfig : One Day (2011) featuring my favorite Jim Sturgess and Anne Hathaway. This movie is a book adaptation by David Nicholls. Previously I wrote about a movie called Education (2009) directed by the same guy, read here

The movie is about two young college graduates, who began a long friendship that lasted over 20 years. Both were pretty much different, Emma was an English graduate that dreamed of being a writer and worked herself off to survive, eventually doing things that she hated to do. Dexter, already a son of a rich family, became a successful TV presenter and famous. And they were still friends on and off. I am not good at summarizing a story, so you can read the summary here instead.


*

I've been meaning to watch the movie since I read the book last year. Personally, I like the book better, the movie seemed to show a lot of short snippets of years they spent together, it's almost like a fast-forwarded version of the book, almost intangible, vaguely attached. From the movie, I could not grasp the meaning of their really close friendship, their feelings, and emotions, their loss and love, it was all too weak. I would like for you to read the book instead. 

PS: I always watch movie adaptations from books just for the sake of criticizing it! Or comparing, I guess. Some are both good, some are better written, and some are better in movies.

*

What do I love about the movie?

1) It is not a mushy love story or fake chick-lit or drama, instead, it is almost as decent as what can possibly happen in real life.

2) The carefree friendship, the stupid jokes, things that can be easily understood because you know each other so much, the no-more-than-friends rules, the snuggling, the traveling, no heavy commitments, just friends. Although yes, Emma has a huge crush on him, she was there all along those years, both pretending to not realize their attraction towards each other. 

3) Both love English, reading and writing. These days it's rare to find people who actually read and write anymore. Maybe because it takes a lot of effort and time. Precious gems.

4) How Dexter became decent because of her, and how Em became truly happy because of him. Symbiotic relationship.

5) If it is meant to be, then it is meant to happen. So there's no point in running.

6) The fact that I cried, because I hated the ending so much. I cried after reading the book, and I cried after watching the film. Shesh. 



‘Live each day as if it’s your last,’ that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained or you felt a bit glandy? It just wasn’t practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.”
Post Comment
Post a Comment