Little Thing 274 : How Nostalgic Are You?

November 10, 2023


I wouldn't deny it, I'm not much of a hoarder but I keep stuff with personal stories. 


The rainbow moonstone, I got it before Sofi. I was trying to get pregnant and was struggling for several years. It was unexplained infertility, and I never understood it. I bought the moonstone as a symbol of fertility to remind myself of that phase.  


I got the lucky cat from a boy I liked when I was around 15 - we shared the same birthday and were the same stubborn, second-child, wildly lost but silent rebellious teenagers. I think we saw each other like facing a mirror, I can see the things that I hated in myself from him. Nothing much came from the teenage relationship, it wasn't anything serious. He moved schools, and we continued our lives. But the cat stayed, as a reminder of my sweet innocent teenage crush. 


The bracelets are my symbols, 3 round + 1 cuboid net stones because I was born on the 3rd Jan. The cuboid stone bracelet was a gift from AF, it matches my shungite necklace that I have worn for the past 2 years (before that it was a trapezoid-shaped shungite). Ask him what the bracelet means. Then I bought the other 3 round net stones myself, the net stones came from basic stones that are not special, the mediocre large stones. I love how there's nothing special about them except for the meaning that I put in them. 

You know, shungite, is pure carbon just like a diamond, but the difference is its molecular structure of the carbon. Even though it is made of pure carbon, it is not crystallized like a diamond so it looks different. Shungite is mostly solid black, and diamond, you know how diamonds are. I love how people put value on things based on their outer appearance in general. That's why I chose shungite, it is a representation of how I see the world. I was asked several times whether it was a 'tangkal', just because it was a black stone. 


That Sirotan seals that are holding hands, that one I got from a gashapon in the airport, on our first visit to Japan together. I think we had the last 500 yen coin and we wanted to spend it on something. Then I got the Sirotan couple. It was sweet.


The Taro san is also special. We went to the Expo Park in Osaka, not knowing anything about the place, but it was one of my most magical moments in Japan, and I met the Tower of the Sun. It was so memorable so I wanted to buy something to remind myself of the place. That small Taro sun cost 500 yen, but it was worth it because you can't find it anywhere else. It is not the Eiffel Tower or the Pyramid, it is the Tower of the Sun, and it is almost cultist that I can't even explain the inside joke.


The candle was just a gift from my sister, it smelled of wood sage. It is by this local company called Lampu Cherita.


-


I've been thinking about what to keep, what to donate, what to sell, and what to let go lately because we might move out soon. So I've been contemplating what's important and what's not. A lot of the stuff accumulated in the house is somewhat important to me because of these little stories, but there are stuff that I don't know what to do, and stuff that I don't want to handle yet too. 


Do I want to keep 20-year-old Diana Wynne's YA novels because those were the fantasies that I grew up with? Do I want to keep all my notebooks, or unused old MacBook from my uni-days, or how about the trinkets? The old paintings? The unused stationery? All Jodi Picoult's novels? :F

Post Comment
Post a Comment