Books - The Things I Read in February and the Suffering of Mind

March 04, 2023

I watched Imaginur alone at the cinema on Thursday, I walked almost 10k steps that day, I read about Epicurus during lunch (I'm currently reading The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton) and realized I could use some of his ideas because it resonates with me and I've been practicing some of it for a while. 


I've been enjoying my assignment so far. This year I want to read 'hard' books and learn about heavier topics, so more classics (I have much catching up to do) and perhaps more philosophy and spiritualism. 'Hard' in this case is because I need many references and reread to understand - this might not be hard for you, but it does for me.


I've been struggling with some issues lately. So to avoid jumping into any unnecessary impulses, I need to investigate the rationality of my needs and desire. As Epicurus said :

Just as medicine confers no benefit if it does not drive away physical illness, so philosophy is useless if it does not drive away the suffering of the mind. 


Also, writing might help, perhaps I need to try journaling again :

There are few better remedies for anxiety than thought. In writing a problem down or airing it in conversation we let its essential aspects emerge. And by knowing its character, we remove, if not the problem itself, then its secondary, aggravating characteristics: confusion, displacement, surprise.

-


The annoying thing about this whole 'learning phase' is, the more I learn, the stupider I feel - like there are so much more out there that I don't know of, so many more books that I need to refer to, and it is a humbling feeling: like you are a minuscule plankton in the Pacific ocean. 





Here are the books I read & listened to in February :
  • books about relationships: Monogamy (Sue Miller), The Possession (Annie Ernaux), Lean Your Loneliness Slowly Against Mine (Klara Hveberg)
  • graphic novels: A Gift From a Ghost (Borja Gonzalez), Mamo (Sas Milledge), Just Friends (Ana Oncina)
  • philosophy: The Socratus Express (Eric Weiner)
  • classics: The House of Dead (Fyodor Dostoyevsky), Knulp, Narcissus & Goldmund, Demian, Strange News from Another Star (Hermann Hesse)

Post Comment
Post a Comment