Little Things 29 : Smell

June 26, 2012

Scent critic Chandler Burr & Frédéric Malle, Perfume Publisher.

Chandler : Do you think perfume is as much an art as painting & sculptures?
Frédéric : I'd say design or photography. I think great perfumery generates emotion similarly to certain abstract arts. I don't think it is as powerful as great music. Great perfumery touches a sensuous chord but not always a spiritual one. When I smell Portrait of a Lady by Dominique Ropion or Shalimar by Guerlain, it takes me to a world of beauty, but there is one level that is missing
This was taken from nowness.com.
 *
In an odd way, I have a 'thing' with smell. And I agree with what Frédéric said. Although it can reach to a certain point which he called a sensuous chord, there is one level missing.

Some songs can make you cry.
Some paintings can make you laugh.
Some pictures can make you think deep.

But smell doesn't seem to touch your emotion. *Memories do!

It does give me pleasure, it can even seems like a whimsical feelings sometimes. It can bring back memories too, like how I can imagine my mom's old bedroom when she went out for rare dinner with my dad if I accidentally smell one of her old favorite perfume. Or random stranger's cologne while in a train can bring back memories from my ex's sweater, wayyy back when I was 19! I can even identify and differentiate people's perfume/cologne around me.

Odd. 

Post Comment
Post a Comment