Little Stories 301 : School Holiday and Activities by the End of Sept •ᴗ•

September 29, 2024

It was the school holiday.
I let Sofi stay with me the whole week even though daycare was still open. Sofi was sick a lot these past few months, so I wanted her to have healthy morning sessions under the sun for the whole week and more outings so she could play outside.

We were at my sister's most of the time because I worked with her the whole week, so I could still do some packing, Sofi could still entertain herself and came to help me every time she was bored, and I got a buffer so that Sofi doesn't cling to me 24/7 (she went off and kacau mamaja or unke is all the time). Between work, we did a lot of things during the school holiday. 

I packed + pre-packed around 400 parcels during the school holiday.

-

School Holiday Activities:


1. We went to play at the playgrounds in Aja's house area almost every morning when it did not rain - we went to 3 different ones to try them all out. It was raining most early mornings, so we could only go out after 8 am. The best one is the one nearest to her home because I can just walk back when I need to use the toilet :p

-

2. We played tanglong and fireworks during the Supermoon Lunar Eclipse - I bought tanglong at IOI while searching for Ma's birthday present. Kinda reminded me of last year's lunar eclipse celebration at Angelbell, so I wanted to give her something to play that night at the verandah. Pretty moment ♥︎


-

3. We went to Sofi's first karaoke session - Aja brought us here, of course. 
We had our first official singing session together (mostly Disney's songs). She looked sooooo darn cute. She has this one-tone low voice that she uses for singing, I wonder if she is as tone-deaf as her uncle and Tokma   

-

4. We went to Sofi's first dentist visit - She complained about tooth pain, I know 3 of her molars had holes. I've been slowly telling her that we should have our first dental visit, and she was convinced. I promised the first visit would be only the consulting session. 

The first visit was good, the doctor knew how to talk and entertain her, although she was nervous. So, based on the consult, she needs 3 molar fillings, right now one of the molars is infected, and that caused the pain. Sofi had to be on antibiotics, and later when she finished it, she would have her first simplest molar filling to introduce the procedure. The next 2 fillings are a bit complicated because the dentist will need to do some drilling so, those would be next in line. 

-

5. We went to watch The Wild Robot - The movie came out the day before, and I wanted to watch it (because the trailer was sooooooo beautiful, it's crazy). I asked Aja whether she wanted to join, and then, Is also joined us. Thank you, Af for the school holiday movie treat. 

The movie was undeniably beautiful, like those illustrated storybooks that I loved so much. A lot of moments can be screen captured and be my computer's wallpaper. They looked like paintings. 


-

6. We did a quick visit to Tokpa's The Plot during MAHA - this was an impromptu visit, I was mentally not ready (did not bring a hat or water bottle or a mask, or just mentally prepared for the crowd lah). So, if you knew me, "knew me", I am someone who is often easily triggered by my surroundings. I don't go mingle in a place that I know has a lot of stimulation without being mentally prepared - or I will be overwhelmed. 

MAHA is a very hot, very crowded place. 
And it is very overwhelming - I tried my very best to play along with the impromptu visit because Aja needed to restock her stuff from The Plot. But yeah, it was ok - we managed to stay around 1 hr + and I went back home without a migraine. 


-

7. Oh, and I'm watching my first Korean melodrama - Tell Me That You Love Me, because it is visually beautiful and tells a story about silent lonely people, which is always my fav topic in the world. Lagi pulak watak pakcik2 - tp versi korea pulak dah.

8. This month, I only managed to finish 2 books - The Girl Who Wrote Loneliness by Kyung-Sook Shin on my Kindle. I felt like it was such a loooong, dreary read, and also, The Vegetarian by Han Kang, it was so weird and an uncomfortable read.


School holidays felt long and short, both at the same time.
Right after it ended, I had a 12,000 steps walk in the city alone to recharge, and I bought another Yasuwari Kawabata's book as a present for myself because I packed 400 parcels last week. I bought The Sound of the Mountain, it's my third, and I just love it. I hope no one buys the copies in Kino, I got another 2 books that I need to buy from there and there is only a single copy each left :F

-

Post School Holiday:

9. Sofi had her first molar fixed. It was a success, although the night before, she had a tantrum and cried all the way before her bedtime (apparently, she was scared). Later that night, I explained to her many times about the procedure that she was going to face. It was the simplest filling on the surface of her left molar. It took less than 10 minutes, no cries. 

What I did was:
  • Introduce her to the place and dentist
  • Choose the same dentist (esp when he/she knows how to deal with kids)
  • Build up their connection (to develop trust)
  • Explain to her whenever needed (so she will be mentally prepared)
  • Ask the dentist to explain to her about the procedure (so she knows what to expect)
  • Hold her foot and baca lah all the d'oa to give her courage (so she knows I'm there with her)
I know a lot of people are scared of dentists or any dental procedure, but what I can assure you is that, it is much much better to have early exposure to healthy dental care. So, I'm teaching Sofi early to not be afraid of meeting a dentist. Itu pun kira da lambat la, 3 molar dah berlubang.  

-


10. I went to LitBooks. Not an easy place to reach - the whole 1 hr + train ride to MRT Surian and then a bus ride to Tropicana Avenue. It was Miss Chin's idea to check up on the place, and it did not disappoint. I mean, the bookshop is not big, but the book listings were good and curated. I asked the man whether they have any of Yasuwari Kawabata's collection because they are hard to find, but most of his books were sold out and yes, he confirmed that it is quite hard to restock his book. 

-


11. Sofi's Sports Day was held at Footballhub@Rimbayu on the last Sept's weekend. It was a humid afternoon (it rained for a while before the event started). Sofi didn't cry this time, she was much more composed than last year. She stayed with her team, and she played well. I'm really proud of her. I know I shouldn't compare, but seeing obvious differences between a 4-year-old and a 5-year-old was an eye-opening experience. 

It gets easier; they are learning things, and in a mere one year, a lot of things could be learned and achieved. I could use this as a reminder when things are tough kan, to not see hardships as something impossible to get through, maybe what I need is time and a space to learn and grow so I can be better next time. When we were small, we had our parents to remind us that, but now we are grown-ups, we just need to remind ourselves this because there is no one else better than you, to know what you need to move forward. 

-


12. We went to Petrosains KLCC on Monday, because the teachers decided to give an extra school holiday after the sports day. So, I made an impromptu plan. It has been 25 years since my last visit (when I was still in school). I don't usually do things unplanned, but with a kid, I need to relearn this to manage my anxiety better. So, just little plans - like packing snacks from home, dedicated rest and snack time, with a smaller list to achieve, and a few warnings and reminders to Sofi.

It actually went really well. She was in such a good spirit, she was enjoying the whole 2 hours experience, and even when she had to take a long train ride and walk a lot, and have a late lunch, she was still chatty and excited to the end. No ngada2 - I warned her if she ngada2, there won't be any outings like this, hahah. So we had such a lovely time together. Jalan more than 5km, takda angkat2 ok. 


-

Ok that's it for end of September post •ᴗ• 


Post Comment
Post a Comment