Mini Escapism : Ipoh

February 05, 2018

Super short holiday deserve super short vacation. 

We went to Ipoh right in the middle of the week, when Af combined his Thaipusam + Federal Day holiday and decided that we need our random escapism. This time we opted for our favorite city, Ipoh. There weren't enough time to visit each and every tourist spots in Ipoh because we only have around 2 days to explore.

*

1. Tempurung Cave
The first spot was the Tempurung Cave, because it was the nearest place near the highway before we arrived at the Ipoh City. We arrived around lunch hour and we already had our brunch in SK earlier so we just headed to the entrance knowing we were ready for our first activity.


Here are some things I found out :
  • There are 4 stages of the Gua Tempurung exploration packs. 
    • Stage 1 (40 minutes - dry - walk in) - RM 8
    • Stage 2 (1 hour 40 minutes - dry - walk in) - RM 12
    • Stage 3 (2 hours 30 minutes - wet - need : extra clothes, towel, head lamp) - RM 15
    • Stage 4 (3 hours 30 minutes - wet - need : extra  clothes, towel, head lamp) - RM 30
  • We didn't know what to expect, so we were wearing jeans and Af was wearing slippers, not suitable for outdoor activity. 
  • So we chose the stage 1 package, a walk until Platform 3. I'm not sure whether we should be guided by the cave ranger or not (because it was stated on the board, but at the counter they just asked us to walk by ourself until Platform 3 and return back). So it was not a guided tour and we were free to roam inside the cave for as long as we wanted.  
  • The view inside was magnificent !
  • I don't think it is a suitable activity with really small kids and senior citizens because there were hundreds and hundreds of steep steps (even just to platform 3). 
  • It was hot, I guess because there was no wind inside, sometimes it felt a bit claustrophobic. 
  • I liked it, and I will definetely go again to try out the other stages 

Look at all the steps to reach the peak ! : 


The Map :


*

2. Check-in at our hotel 
After our Gua Tempurung walk, we headed to our hotel around 20 minutes away. It rained heavily when we arrived at the hotel, so we can't go anyway. Af took a short nap while I played games on my phone and read my current book : Men without Women :F

*

3. Dinner at Dataran Ipoh 
We decided to have our dinner at Dataran Ipoh food stalls. I ordered for delicious hot Bihun Soup Daging, it just rained so the weather was quite cold. So having hot soup was a bliss, I'm glad it tasted nice. There are also other food stalls mostly selling the same foods : Soups, Rojak, Yoong Tau Fu, Char Kuew Tiaw and Goreng2.


The Map :



*

4. Gerbang Malam Night Market
We parked our car at Ipoh Parade soon after we had our dinner. We also booked for a late-night movie to used up all our outing time. But after we bought the ticket and went out to walk to our next destination, we realized that it was raining heavily again. We were stuck in the mall for several hours and we didn't know what to do. So we played at the arcade until the closing time.

By 10, the rain stopped and we can walk to Gerbang Malam. It was around 2km walk from Ipoh Parade. I didn't like to be out at night even though I have a huge bodyguard next to me. All shops were closed, and even gas stations were closing during that time. I felt a bit insecure :F

But there were many people at Gerbang Malam, it was a bit like walking at Jonker Street but without the colourful and beautiful old shops. Only stalls. 


*

5. Ipoh Parade for late night movie
We bought the latest Maze Runner and I regret it. It was not fun, it was dreary and I wonder why did I chose that movie over and over again =.= We went back to our hotel around 2 am and that was the end of day 1 :D

There are several arcades on level 4 (if you want to burn some time).


*

6. Breakfast at The New Hollywood Restaurant
AF insisted that we should try this place (note : he was the one deciding on each activity & destination this time, because it's his place. I just followed :D Usually I'm the one planning and deciding).



*

7. Yik Foong Complex
Af said this was an old building selling mostly IT stuffs 'back in the day' when he was still a college student and a place to play console games with his friends. But when we went there, it was almost deserted especially the top levels. We did explored the whole building, some parts were even closed "for renovation".

We parked at the parking lot next to the building (one whole day for RM 4) and decided that we should just walk on foot to explore the city. 



*

8. A long hot walk to the Pos Besar Ipoh and Ipoh Railway Station
It felt like the longest and hottest walk ever T^T
Even though we walked for less than 2 km to the Pos Office. I needed to send all my parcels that I prepared for the week. So I thought walking to the pos office would be a great idea, plus the old Ipoh Railway Station was located right next to the post office. But when we arrived, we were already too exhausted and dehydrated, we just sat for awhile in the air-conditioned post station. Ha. I didn't take any pictures, I don't think we have the energy to do so after the walk.



*

9. Random walk back towards our car



We found : Yasmin at Kong Heng Museum (opens only on Sat & Sunday), walked behind the nice Sekeping Kong Heng. walked until we found the Concubine Lane alley, saw the old Han Chin Pet Soo museum (but didn't wait until it opens at 3pm), and saw the Ipoh murals. I think we probably walked around 4-5 km, but it was so hot I felt like we walked farther.


*

And that was our final activity for our short escapism !
Even though it was really short, I had a lot of fun ❤ I do want to visit Ipoh again (especially to go to Gua Tempurung and visit the Yasmin Museum), so next time we should probably go on the weekends.

Money we spent :
  • Gas : RM 60
  • Toll : RM 50
  • Agoda : RM 100
  • Foods : RM 40 
  • Tickets : RM 16 (Gua Tempurung)
2 comments on "Mini Escapism : Ipoh"
  1. azreen,
    pi gunung helang too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean Gunung Lang, Ipoh ?

      Yeah, I did a post on the place too :D
      http://doodle-from-me.blogspot.my/2016/02/mini-escapism-gunung-lang-ipoh.html

      Delete