Books : April List

May 03, 2014
13. Re : Tangerin & Nikotin by Mimi Morticia 

I didn't really like the theme. Poetic or not. Things she made into public is simply unacceptable for me. Some things are better left hidden in an old box under the bed.

I'm reselling this brand-new-once-read-plastic-wrapped book for RM 10.
Text me if you are interested.


*

14. Puisi Jalanan by Fynn Jamal

I borrowed this book.
Decent, entertaining short 'cerpen', things she wrote years back when she was an angry soul wanting to be listened. I met her once years back at Rantai, if I'm not mistaken. She read her poems with her strong voice, angry fists, I can't remember what she was saying, but I remember thinking "that is surely a big strong soul came from such a petite small lady". 

*

15. Warrior's Life : Paulo Coelho's biography by Fernando Morais

I never thought I can read the whole 446 pages of biography. The thick hard cover book I bought during last 2 year's Big Bad Wolf for RM 12. I thought I'll give up after 1-2 chapters, I was wrong. It took me almost 2 weeks to finish it up. After I read Murakami's running journal I thought I give myself a try on biography and the book has been laying on my shelf for years.

A good read, unpredicted story.  

The dry tone that assembled his past life into words. A tale that I never thought came from one of my inspirational writer. His past life is full with dramas. From education to alcohol and drugs, hospitalized by his parents for mental problem, the hippies movement and rebellious life, his extraordinary strong will to be a writer - and nothing else, his pact with cults and odd rituals, his journeys, list of women, and a long list of things that I found surprising. 

The only thing that I found inspiring is his strong will to achieve his dream. To be a well-known international writer. It took more than half of his life, to finally be one. Odd or not, he is one of the world's successful writer. 

*

16. 1984 by George Orwell

I don't know why I took this long to convince myself to read this book. Maybe because I am not quite fond of classic literature, or maybe because I thought the book revolved around politics and the world. I was wrong.

If you ever watched 'Equilibrium', you might see the resemblance in both of the stories. Controlled by the 'high-levelled society', creating the 'perfect' human, avoiding chaos by putting ridiculous rules, the political agenda, the bigger story, etc. One individual wants to break the system. The book was written in the simplest way - I didn't even have to worry about defining political jargons.

“Being in a minority, even in a minority of one, did not make you mad. There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Random thoughts :
1. We thought we want total freedom in our life, because we keep on thinking that these limitations are stopping us from being happy. The society is wrong. Some people need to be tell, some people need to be controlled, some people need directions. Total freedom is for strong souls, because if everything is so easy in life, you will be lost in invisible repeating loops. There's nothing worth fighting for, there's no meaning. If you manage to get total freedom, peaceful mind, the status 'zen', you will eventually start back at ground zero. And that's only for the 'yodas'.

2. I'm glad I read the book. In a way, it  gave me a silent 'brain-washing' experience on how to see the political world. It gave me a glimpse of how the world's system works - or what it capable of. I've never been interested with politic or the power it revolves with, so reading a big topic in a fiction is a much easier for me. It was thought-provoking.


*

17. Menuju Nafas Terakhir by Petak Daud

I didn't have any books to read, so I borrowed my brother's book. 
I felt like I was reading my short stories I wrote in my high-school years.
A typical, simple, light story. Nothing thought-provoking, maybe it was meant for much younger audience. I might like the simplicity of it when I was a teenager. The writer managed to write in a naiveté tone used by the narrator in the book. 

*


*

4 comments on "Books : April List"
  1. Inc postage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two years behind but I feel like commenting :) I'm recommending Langit Vanilla by Wani Ardy. Prose and poetry and notes - poetic but not too much. Calming and have substance, too.

    I read Puisi Tepi Jalan but it wasn't my cup of coffee. Langit Vanilla, on the other hand, was a gem - to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess, I do have that one too. Bought it several years ago, I loved it :D

      Delete