Books : Scandal, Boring Fictions and More Books

October 18, 2016
I think I took around 3 weeks with iFlix to finish up all 4 seasons of 'Scandal' by Shonda Rhimes. 

I never thought I would enjoy politic/mystery/thriller series these days :F Look how grown-up I am now, I no longer have any patient to watch superpower/fantasy/sci-fiction series or even movies. I've been living in my own world for almost 30 years, now I'm just starting to catch up on the world's issue :F Just because I feel intrigued to know.

I did try to watch Once and The Magician over the weekend, both attempts failed. I sat there watching the series, did somethings else at the same time, and forgetting that I was watching the series. When did I became too hard to be impressed by fictions?

Note : Also watched Miss Peregrine's & the Peculiar Children last weekend with my family when we were celebrating Ma's birthday and I didn't like it :F I'm so sad.

*

I listened to Nicholas Sparks' audio book - The Wedding last week, it took 3 working days. The book is a sequel to the famous 'The Notebook" - featuring non-other-than Ryan Gosling as Noah and Rachel McAdams as Allie, that once brought me to tears. But the sequel was boring :F It was about an old couple that was about to celebrate their 30 years of marriage, they were Noah & Allie's daughter. They were having relationship difficulties, lost it's 'sparks' after so many years of being together. Compared to all the drama and emotional rollercoaster that Jodi Picoult can write in her books, Nicholas Sparks lost all his 'sparks' to me a long time ago :F
I no longer feel his writing worth my time. This too, saddens me.
Also another 2 additions in my weekly audio books are Roald Dahl's books : "Danny, the champion of the world" and "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" - all in one working day, because the stories weren't that long. I loooove Roald's books, currently listening to "Matilda" - with the story-telling version from Kate Winslet. I personally suggest all parents to read-along Roald Dahl's books with your children. I'm reading the ones that I never read before and re-reading the old ones.

*

While on physical books, I managed to finish reading "The Life of a Stupid Man" by Ryunosuke Akutagawa. Personally loved the first short story he wrote in the beginning of the book. I didn't know him as a writer, I just bought the Penguin book that costed RM 6 and the book was small and light enough to always be in my bag for emergency reading time.

Read this and I found out that he killed himself at 35, before publishing the book with 51 tiny stories, some were as short as in one-paragraph and a bit confusing. He was having a depression :( Here are some of his quotes :
He wanted to live life so intensely that he could die at any moment without regrets.
Do I still love this woman? he asked himself. He was in the habit of observing himself so closely that the answer came as a surprise to him: I do.
Currently reading "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez & still on "The Graveyard Boy" by Neil Gaiman because I left it in the car.
Note : I'm catching up to finish my 29 books-goal for this year :F
2 comments on "Books : Scandal, Boring Fictions and More Books"
  1. Hi Azreen. This chuckles me: "I've been living in my own world for almost 30 years" hahah I feel the same, really - gonna be 30 next year and I think I'm still living in my own world :/

    Anyway, I never watched Scandal but I LOVE 'How to Get Away with Murder' series - about law school lecturer and students who are involved in actual murder. It's so good :)

    I've only read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult a few years ago - cried a lot - and still can't brace myself to watch the movie version :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess, I'm going to be 30 in 2 months and 2 weeks! o_o

      After I finish Scandal, and getting back with Greys' for the new season, then I'll probably try "How to Get Away with Murder" :D I'll binge watch all Shonda's series !

      Plus, Jodi Picoult just published her new book, I have to wait for next year until the small paperback version comes out :F She's goood, I read all her books - except for the children book that she wrote with her daughter. My personal favorite are Handle with Care, Lone Wolf, Mercy and My Sister's Keeper - of course !

      Delete