Little Things 132 : Film Directors

August 02, 2014
I've seen many of these movies during my case studies among these 4 film directors ; Wes Anderson, Sofia Coppola, David Fincher and Baz Luhrmann. Each of them is unique in making his/her work of art that I can actually see particular styles and ways in their films. I bold some of my favorite movies from them in the list that worth to be watched.

*

Wes Anderson :

Bottle Rocket (1996) | Rushmore (1998) | The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) | The Squid and the Whale (2005)
 The Darjeeling Limited (2007) | Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) | Moonrise Kingdom (2012)
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)


Comment : Vibrant colours, unique characters with peculiar attitude, interesting OCD shots, very detailed to the core, lots of connection between the films, hidden meanings/symbolic representation of stuffs, stories in stories, voice-over narration, familiar faces repeatedly in different movies. I love his works. His music compilations are unique, nothing quite like the things we usually listen to.

*

Sofia Coppola :

The Virgin Suicides (1999) | Lost in Translation (2003)
 Marie Antoinette (2006) | Somewhere (2010) | The Bling Ring (2013) 


Comment : Aesthetically beautiful, pastel-coloured shots, odd mixture of modern songs in gloomy mood, characters lack of emotions, really slow mixed with silence, depression and loneliness. Her movies are a bit too gloomy for me. I always wonder what's her 'real' stories behind all of her films.

*

David Fincher :

Alien (1992) | Seven (1995) | The Game (1997) | Fight Club (1999)
The Hire (2001) | Panic Room (2002) | Lords of Dogtown (2005) | Love and Other Disasters (2006)
Zodiac (2007) | The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) | The Social Network (2010)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) | Gone Girl (2014)



Comment : Love the twisted mysteries, most of his movies are a bit dark. Not so much of my genre, because I don't really watch thriller or anything that makes my heart goes 'thump-thump-thump', alone. My favorites are Benjamin Button and Fight Club, genius.

*

Baz Luhrmann :

Strictly Ballroom (1992) | Romeo + Juliet (1996) | Moulin Rouge! (2001)
 Australia (2008) | The Great Gatsby (2013)



Comment : Awesome Grammy-winning soundtracks that send chills down into my spine. Baz Luhrmann is a genius in composing songs into his movie, with many shots taken in dark background contrasted with bright surreal colours. He seems to love chaos, songs, party, music and crowds. Soundtracks I keep on replaying on my Spotify : Moulin Rouge and Great Gatsby.


*

All video clippings taken from Mr. Kees van Dijkhuizen jr.
2 comments on "Little Things 132 : Film Directors"
  1. movie wes anderson memang unik dan props semua cantik. suka ... & kita pun suka tengok cerita yang shot dia mcm memukau mata. lagu yang best n buat kita teringat2 lagu tu. heee... baz luhrmann pon. suka laaa...

    ReplyDelete