Compilation Post : End of the Year 2022

December 10, 2022

A 2022 compilation :


1. On health :

Remember in 2021 I had severe anxiety that I collapsed? Well, it took around 6-8 months for the anxiety to clear up. Even after that, I started having chronic pain for another half of the year, which I think was related to anxiety. I spent thousands to recover/manage/heal. 


But I learned a lot. It taught me resilience, it taught me to understand that some things need to be experienced, it taught me humility, it reminded me of the shortness of life, and it taught me to have more backup plans than I already have.


But I'm well now, and my health in 2022 was better.

-


2. On finance :

We struggled throughout the year, it was a slow year, financially. As a freelancer, there are months with no money and there are months with doubled/tripled from what I usually get. But all in all, we struggled a lot this year, which led to a decision to make a change in my career.


Note: I spent a lot of my savings surviving and recovering in 2022, so I wish to earn more in 2023 to financially recover and prepare for the future. 

-


3. On projects, career, and work :

In Nov, I started working full-time again. This decision was made out of necessity and although I was the one that made the decision, I'm actually still very disappointed with this. But we have to be ready for the economic downturn, we need to have enough to survive without having to struggle on a monthly basis kan. This is the sacrifice that I need to make.


It has been 2 months and I'm adapting well. We are still working full-time remotely in the comfort of our own house. We got connected through Slack and Zoom, we have office lunch every month and weekly get-togethers for a seminar/talk, all online. They actually make an effort to connect us together even though we are separated by countries. 


They offer a good salary, enough annual leaves, 3 months maternity leaves, birthday day off, flexible-work time, trust us as a fully responsible adult (I mean, we are fully remote and all work are manageable), work-life balance, no OT needed, etc etc etc. All the things I wanted in a work environment.


I work as a designer/illustrator where I can use my skills in different projects. It's a remote office where all are treated like an adult and I like it. 


I also did several more projects with Noko this year and most of the things came out before Christmas.


In mid-Dec, I joined Comic Fiesta but it was not as fun. 

-


4. On Sofi :

I waited for 2 years and 8 months to hear her call me "mami". She finally started learning to talk 3 months before she turned 3. Soon she started to catch up, she mimicked us and 6 months later she can even use up to 4 words in a sentence. 


It wasn't just her time yet and we waited ever so patiently :F


She is also potty-trained and no longer uses nappy except at night time. She stops drinking milk lying down, she wants me to read her books every night, and she refuses to nap during the afternoon. She started her 1-week trial at a kindergarden in Nov as well. 


A lot of major changes. 

-


5. On passion :

I consumed more than 100 books this year.
Letting myself nerd out and doing research on books and writers feels so good (I usually write something in the early morning before Sofi gets up). I learned something from reviewing these books, I decided on certain matters that I was not sure about before, and I discovered things about myself that I didn't know.

It is so good to still like something so passionately even after 30 years. Also, it feels good to nerd up and write about books with invisible audiences. 
  1. The Book of Goose by Yi Yun Li 
  2. Gilgamesh by Yi Yun Li 
  3. Briefly, a Delicious Life by Nell Stevens 
  4. Black Milk by Elif Shafak 
  5. The Song of Achilles by Madelline Miller 
  6. The City of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 
  7. The Prince and the Dress Maker by Jen Wang
  8. The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak
At this point in my life (mid-30s), I'm beginning to enjoy reading classic literature, and fiction with beautiful prose and calm slower vibes. Life is already too messed up, I just want to read/listen to something soothing for my mind. 

-


Things I'm excited about :
  1. The book I pre-ordered in Nov for my upcoming birthday month: is the paperback version of To Paradise by Hanya Yanagihara
  2. The Last of Us series will be out in mid-January, but it's on HBO Max.
  3. I am waiting for the time to watch The House of Dragon - because I've been so busy for the past couple of months.
  4. I'm also extending my stay at Disney Hotstar to finish up Andor - and write something about it because I'm inspired. Fun fact: I waited for a year+ to wait for the release of Andor. (DONE)
  5. The home massage session on my birthday, I pre-booked on Sentuh App :F
  6.  Getting my Kindle back and reading Hamnet (I bought it in Aug). I expected it to be returned to me in Dec, but I guess getting it returned wasn't in her main plans.

Post Comment
Post a Comment