Movie : Character - Hannibal Lecter

February 22, 2015

I just watched 1991's Silence of the Lamb yesterday directed by Jonathan Demme, the one with Anthony Hopkin as notorious Dr. Hannibal Lecter. I've been wanting to read the book since high school when I saw the book in my dad's library - *you know, the age when everything is amusingly interesting, even a story about a serial-killer. But I never had the chance. One of my short story's character during high-school was named Thomas taken from the author's name, Thomas Harris :D
I'll definitely borrow it next time I go to dad's or download the book from somewhere.

*

Dr. Hannibal Lecter taught me several things :

1. It is amusing how you can learn people from observation. The loudest who speaks too much or even the quietest in the room, everyone got their own story. It's pretty easy to predict if you know how the human's mind works from the psychological aspect, body languages, or from social behavior. The more aware you are of little things, the more knowledgeable you can be. 

2. Everything is a game. He didn't whine or complain, really. Some things are just meant to be like that, he kept his optimistic mind well taken care. Pain is tolerable, if you just know how. 

3. Confidence. He looked at people in the eyes, never blinking. It makes people feel uncomfortable and inferior. He talked with such a classic-gentleman-superiority that make other people look plain stupid. Even when he was in the jail, people still call him 'Doctor', he managed to keep his title and I found that disturbing.  

4. Possibility of learning about psychopathic behavior. Other than Lisbeth Salander in The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, Amy in Gone Girl, Louis Bloom in Nightcrawler, Patrick Bateman in American Psycho and the Joker in the Dark Knight, I think Hannibal Lecter is one good example of a psychopath. He was highly intelligent, he knew how to manipulate people, he was emotionless and calm, and he felt no guilt in killing or harming people to achieve his personal needs. Classic psychopath.

5. This :


*

Creepy Hannibal Lecter, but bravo, Anthony Hopkin did it so well :


PS : I'll update this list after I finish watching Hannibal, Hannibal Rising and Red Dragon. 
Ditto those novels by Thomas Harris.

2 comments on "Movie : Character - Hannibal Lecter"
  1. i love all three movies. brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Lecter has a special place in my heart.. He's brilliant.

    ReplyDelete